Friday, March 23, 2012

Terrariums: A Houseplant for Houseplant Serial Killers

-->
When first started keeping them, I did not have the best luck with houseplants. I over watered them. I under watered them. I completely forgot about their existence. I’ve murdered more plants than I care to admit. That is, until I met the terrarium.  Terrariums are perfect if you are short on space or time or nurturing abilities. 

Literally Immortal

Plus, you can put awesome tiny stuff in a terrarium.  Like book-browsing dinosaur/dragons.  The creature pictured below is the result of a request to do “a dinosaur.” It’s more of a dragonasaurus.

This Dragonasaurus and his terrarium home now reside in an Elementary school library, where he delights and inspires wee children daily.

I recommend succulents. And moss. Both require only the occasional spritz of water.  I have used chicken and hens in this terrarium, some found moss, and some crazy alien plant that was growing in my mother’s succulent garden. She has no idea what it is either. 

Pictured: Strange Spindly Alien Plant

To put together a terrerium, you just need a few things:

  • Rocks, pebbles, or marbles (basically anything for drainage on the bottom.)
  • Sphagnum Moss (you can get this at pet stores, but it's much cheaper at a Home Depot or Lowes)
  • Plants
  • Dirt
  • A Glass Container 

Just layer rocks, moss, dirt, then plants into your container. You can't mess it up. If you do...I don't even know. I guess, take a minute to ask yourself why Mother Nature has such a beef with you.

Lots of different plants do good. Again I like the succulents because they are colorful and strange and pretty dang hard to kill. 


This is a great guide for planning, planting, and maintaining terrariums: http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g6520 It also has a good list of stuff that will grow in a terrarium. And it's put out by Mizzou-- thanks, old friend.


Taadaa! A Terrerium. Enjoy and leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment